With a variety of trailer/stroller products, Solvit have a practical solution to just about any sort of dog mobility problem, regardless of size or weight, it’s called the Solvit Houndabout.
The Houndabout trailer is available in both medium and large sizes and with an aluminum or steel frame. The steel frame version is referred to as the “Houndabout classic” and the Aluminum frame version is referred to as the “Houndabout II”.
In this Solvit Houndabout review I will be covering all four of the Houndabout models. The main differences between the models are listed below under the features and the specs. As for the rest of the review, build quality, design etc, there are no differences between the models.
- Solvit Houndabout II incorporates a light Aluminum frame
- Medium size is designed for medium sized pets of up to 50Lbs
- Large size is designed for large pets of up to 100 Lbs
- Rear mesh screen door
- Front door with weatherproof and mesh layers
- Sunroof that will allow dog to stand up
- Easily folds and unfolds for transportation and storage
- Adjustable internal leash
- Pet Cabin Medium Size – 26 inches long x 17 inches wide x 20 inches tall
- Pet Cabin Large Size: – 33 inches long x 22 inches wide x 26 inches tall
- External dimensions Medium Size (including wheels and attachment arm) are 46 inches x 23 inches x 28 inches and it folds down to 27 inches x 19 inches x 9 inches
- External dimensions Large Size (including wheels and attachment arm) are 55 inches x 33 inches x 33 inches and it folds down to 34 inches x 23 inches x 9 inches
- Medium size with Aluminum frame – 20 Lbs. Stroller conversion kit adds another 7 Lbs
- Medium size with steel frame – 27 Lbs. Stroller conversion kit adds another 7 Lbs
- Large size with Aluminum frame – 25 Lbs. Stroller conversion kit adds another 8 Lbs
- Large Size with steel frame – 36 Lbs. Stroller conversion kit adds another 8 Lbs
Maximum weight limit:
- Medium size – 50 Lbs
- Large size with Aluminum frame – 100 Lbs
- Large size with steel frame – 110 Lbs
- Medium size – 16 inches
- Large size – 20 inches
Build quality & Design:
With a reputation for building quality products, the Solvit Houndabout models do not detract from this. The build quality is very good as is the overall design.
With a strong, durable frame the trailer/stroller should see many years of trouble free pet carrying and as a testament to this fact Solvit offers a Lifetime Warranty against defective materials and workmanship on these models and a 1 year warranty on other parts. Contact Houndabout for more information on warranties.
It’s small but significant features, like the unique axle design that lowers the rear of the trailer for easier pet loading, that make the Houndabout stand out from the crowd. Simple but effective design features are always a sign that the company actually listens to its customer and acts upon the suggestions.
Size and Weight:
The Solvit Houndabout medium model is ideal for small to medium size pets and the large version will accommodate bigger and heavier pets.
As always, make sure you measure and weigh your pet before buying. Compare your pet’s dimensions against the cabin dimensions listed above. If you are buying the stroller/trailer for a puppy, check out our fully grown weight of a puppy post, this will give you some idea of how heavy the dog will become when it matures.
Entry System and Canopy:
To assist in loading your pet into the trailer, the rear door can be kept in the open position by hooking the elasticized loop located at the bottom of the entry door to the loop hook at the top of the door. The rear door should be kept closed when the dog is in transit.
The front of the Solvit Houndabout dog trailer has a double layer window that comprises of a vinyl windscreen and a separate mesh layer. One or both of these can be rolled up into the open position and secured by the elasticized loop. If you plan on having them both open, make sure to adjust the leash to prevent your pet from escaping through the front of the trailer.
The sunroof can be closed, half open or fully open. Once again the fabric is secured by an elasticized loop and hook system.
The trailer also features a storage pocket on the left hand side, and a bottle pocket on the right. There is also another pocket on the upper rear panel that will hold an assortment of small items.
Inside the trailer/stroller
The floor of the Solvit HoundAbout trailer is not a rigid design, it is made of material with a foam pad over it. However, the material is very strong and shouldn’t cause any problems. If you do want a solid floor, cut some plywood to fit and put the pad on top of it.
There is a tether point within the stroller that the included leash can be attached to.
Wheels and Tires:
The wheels (Medium size – 16 inches – Large size – 20 inches) are the spoke type, much like miniature bicycle wheels. They are strong, durable and have the ability to withstand the typical road bumps.
Air filled tires give the trailer its suspension and offer a smooth ride for your pet.
The standard towing hitch will fit most bicycles and can be fitted quickly and easily. If you have a non standard bike or frame, there are alternative hitches available. Contact the manufacturer for more information.
Building the Trailer:
The trailer can be built within approximately 30 minutes.
- Attach the bicycle towbar
- Attach the wheel mounting brackets and wheels
- Erect the cabin
- Connect to bicycle
- Load your cargo
All of the above steps are covered in-depth in the manual.
Converting the Solvit HoundAbout Trailer to a Stroller:
The stroller conversion kit is an optional extra and not included with the trailer. However, there do seem to be problems with the wheel wobbling and vibrating when going faster than a slow walking pace.
The conversion kit includes: Handlebar, 12-inch swiveling front wheel, parking brake, and cupholder.
There is no flag included with the trailer, or any place to put one. This may seem a trivial issue but in my opinion the more visible the trailer the better.
The stroller conversion kit has issues with wheel wobble and vibration.
With the option of a lightweight, rust free Aluminum frame the Houndabout II scores higher than the Houndabout classic. Both models are well built and designed but the “classic” is heavier, which means more stress on the engine (you).
Overall, both models score highly and should give plenty of quality towing time with your furry friend.